This quinoa salad has been the meal of the summer for us. Bonus, it is the only grain that provides a complete source of protein. Our quest to maintain a mostly vegetarian diet means that finding protein without a face is rather a difficult challenge. So, yeah!
It's a rather mild tasting grain with cute little tendrils that emerge after cooking. Oh, this makes a rather big serving but it tastes even better the next day.
Zest of one lime
Juice of one lime
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans, drained
lots of sweet cherry or heirloom tomatoes (bite size pieces
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix first for ingredients for dressing together and set aside
2. Wash quinoa in a sieve well.
3. Boil quinoa in boiling water for 10 min
4. Drain in sieve; return sieve over more boiling water and cover with tea towel and lid; cook additional 10 min
5. Let quinoa sit for 10 min; fluff it up.
6. Toss with dressing; add rest of the ingredients; salt and pepper to taste.
Verdict: holy cow! delicious, filling, proteiny, yummers!